Since the birth of the internet people have been looking for ways to make their websites known. SEO, search engine optimization, has basically been turned into a sort of artwork. Many companies will hire cheap SEO service teams to put effort into figuring out what are the best advertising routes and also how to turn an ordinary site into a first page search result site. SEO however is now accompanied with an entirely new tool, the Social Media Optimization or SMO. The principle of SMO is exactly the same as its counterpart SEO in that you are looking to make a site more easily linked to. However it differs with using Social Media sites to become highly visible. Not only does it focus on the Social Media sites but it also moves to podcasts and blogs. There are a few rules that you need to follow in order to make your site SMO worthy.
1. First you will want to alter how relevant you are in the internet. This should be a high priority for websites. Many sites on the internet will lie dormant for years never being updated. In order to make your site ready for the Social Media world you will need to increase what they call linkability of your content. In other words, you must make it so your site appears in many other places.
2. Adding buttons to make adding, following, and bookmarking much easier. Adding features such as the “follow on twitter” buttons makes your potential customers life much easier. On top of that you have a much better chance at making this person a dedicated customer of yours. Chances are if a person does not know you they will not take the time to add you to social media. However, if you give them this quick option they may take a quick second to add you to their media and consequently learn about who you are in the future.
3. Treat the people who link to your page. The amount of people linking back to you is your current level of success inside Social Media. The amount of inbound links also is your bar for where you stand inside search results. To push people to give you more inbound links you need to provide them with visible rewards. Simply repay the favor and link them to your site. Doing this shows a clear reward of what happens if they do something for you, you do something for them. Not only will this reel in a huge following but it will also make you more than the average business.
4. Altering where you content goes. SMO is different than SEO as you have to do more than just editing a website. You must use the different types of information you have provided wisely and submit them into the proper and relevant sites where they will be easily found and appreciated. Doing so will certainly put inbound link back to your site.
5. The final step is support the mayhem that comes with social media. In this world you cannot restrict access to what you have established. This world is a world of sharing and to an extent you have to allow your followers to share and possibly reuse some of who you are. There is a line, but as long as they don’t step over that boundary just view it as a good thing. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. This is exactly what they were talking about.
There are plenty of other techniques that continue to pop up as Social Media becomes more and more relevant. Just follow the simple guideline laid out here and also push SMO on your own by performing your own experiments. In Social Media every market is different and with each market comes different people. What works for one may not work for the other.